Old Clinton Historical District
The Old Clinton Historic District, located directly on the Antebellum Trail and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is recognized for both its architecturally significant collection of early 19th century homes and public buildings and for the surviving original town layout with embedded open green spaces, allowing one to visualize what once was there. Clinton, “The Town Time Forgot,” was once the fourth largest town in Georgia in 1820 but was overrun with Union troops in 1864 enroute to Griswoldville. One third of the town was burned; however, luckily the rest has been lovingly preserved. Clinton, the original county seat of Jones County, is a site of historical significance featuring 12 homes built between 1808 and 1830, its original antebellum Methodist Church, and the surrounding cemetery in which are buried many notable Georgians. Driving the narrow streets is like stepping back in time. Special events include Old Clinton War Days the first weekend in May.